Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Baby It's Cold Outside

Or, rather, it was about to get cold around the middle of October. I came home from work and was a little colder than usual inside the house. I debated and then decided to turn on the heat. After it was on for about 5 minutes, there was a strange odor. I know furnaces have odors when you first turn them on, but there was just something about this odor that didn't sit right with me. So I turned it off and Micah called a guy to come and clean the furnace over the weekend. We needed it clean before the next weekend because it was supposed to drop below freezing.

The guy came out and told us that the furnace was damaged beyond repair and that there was a leak in it. Had we let the furnace run, CO would have leaked out into our house, and since we hadn't yet put in a CO detector, we never would have know it! That was a little scary. Needless to say, we have a CO detector now.

Micah called several different places on Monday and set it up for them to come by and give us estimates. We decided to go with this great guy who our friends Mike and Rachel used, as well as some other people we know. They came highly recommended from everybody, and were the ones that left us with the best impression that they would take care of us. They were also able to install the furnace on Friday - right before those below freezing temperatures hit!

We ended up with the 95% efficient furnace because after the tax incentive it was cheaper. For the first time in my life I'm actually going to be glad to file my taxes!

No comments: