Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Why the Silence and a Note on My Coworkers

We're still here, alive and well. I've been completely avoiding this update (including starting it several weeks ago, and trying to finish it 3 times, and just now completing it) and now I feel like I have way too much to talk about. Today we'll start with one thing and go from there.

The reason for this long silence is because, like I said, I've been completely avoiding this post. So, I'm just going to get it out there. My grandma died on September 3rd. At first I didn't post about it because there was too much going on and then because I didn't want to talk about it.

On that morning I got a phone call before my fist class started. One of my wonderful coworkers took my first class, so I could compose myself and get ready for the rest of the day. The next day, Friday, I took off, but went into work anyway so I could prepare lesson plans for the next week when I would be gone. I sat and worked and made copies and notes and everything for 2 of the 3 subjects I teach. With one hour left in the school day, another wonderful coworker came up to me and said she would take care of my last class and that I should go home. (Praise God for her!!)

We spent a week in the Midwest. Both a good week and a crappy week. We had a chance to drive down to St. Louis for a night and see Micah's family including our newest nephew, Henry. (Who is incredibly cute!)

When I got back, I was informed that we had our first round of parent-teacher conferences on Thursday. I spent the entire week responding to angry parent emails and phone calls wondering why I hadn't talked to them in a week. The AP in charge of our department told me that I could use the conference time to catch up on all of my grading and contact parents the next week. That day I received a very nasty email from a parent and Rachel (of Mike and Rachel. we work together, in case you didn't know.) handled the response. All week she had been dying to jump in between me and these nasty emails, and on the Thursday of conferences she pushed me out of my chair and took over. As she was writing a response (about 10 minutes after I got the email) I got a phone call from the same parent. I didn't answer, but she yelled at me on the message. She then showed up at conferences and yelled at me there. Once she left, the coworkers who were around said that I handled that situation well and one of them told me she was going to find the AP and make sure I didn't have to talk to her anymore. My coworkers were so fantastic with helping me deal with this situation. The next day was a professional development day and the head principal came over and talked to me about the situation from the night before as well as many of my other coworkers. The AP took the student out of my class so I don't ever have to deal with the crazy lady again. To make things worse, the crazy lady is a teacher herself. She should know better than to talk to other teachers that way.

It took me just over a month to catch up on all of my work and to finally not be behind after being gone a week. Without the great coworkers I have, I do not know how I would have made it through this semester.

Please keep me and my family in prayers as we go through the holidays. This will not be an easy time for us.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Praying for you guys! Will you make it to St Louis over the holidays?

Thuy said...

I'm so glad you made it through those difficult few weeks. I'll be thinking of you in the weeks to come. Would love to see you if you make it to St. Louis.