Friday, October 24, 2008

At least it's Friday. What a horrible day.

Right now I'm missing Windsor and the classes that I was teaching. At Windsor I didn't almost have a fight in my classroom, I didn't have these blasted seniors that need my class to graduate but don't care if they fail, I didn't have freshman that continued to act like hyper demons when I had just broken up a fight.

Today two of my senior girls started yelling and swearing at each other. I split them up and then got yelled at by one of the girls.

This girl is one of those students that every teacher hates and causes a problem in every class. Until today I have never had any problems with her. She was mad at me because I wouldn't let her go to her locker right when she wanted to go. I was talking to her and one of the Deans walked by and he told her to listen to me before it became his problem. Then it was "Why did you get Mr. A involved?" She refused to listen to a word I said so I just walked away and let her sit there doing nothing. With my seniors I do that a lot. There comes a point where they are not going to do anything no matter how much I bug them, so I let them hang themselves with it. Then the two girls started yelling at each other. I sent the one into the hall and got security to come up and escort them out of my class and down to the office. Before the hour was over, the office sent the one back to class! Of course this is the one who gave me problems all hour.

My next hour of freshman were really worried at the beginning of class and was afraid that they did something wrong. They were very good and concerned for about 20 minutes. The rest of the 20 minutes, they were back to their crazy - I -won't- listen - to -you selves. Hurray! Just what I needed.

At lunch I had a meeting so no time to recoup. Then during my plan hour, I just sat and did nothing. I was telling my co-workers (and friends) what happened. The math tutor - a retired business man whose only teaching experience is as a substitute - started telling me that I should just let it go - only 1 hour after it happened! How dare he! I don't know this guy and it's not like I've never taught before. It was really frustrating and did not help me to settle down and be ready for the rest of the day.

At least it's Friday and I won't see them again til Monday.

No comments: