First hour was the longest 50 minutes. The students did not want to do anything. They did not want to talk or even listen to their music. I handed out a worksheet and said, "If you want a distraction, here is your review packet." About 3 students actually worked on it. 50 minutes is a long time to sit in silence knowing that these kiddos that you care about are hurting and knowing you can't do anything.
The rest of my day was filled with crying students, silent class periods, and over half of my classes were absent. Many students went home for the day. By 4th hour, the halls felt very empty. It was the longest, most draining day. To be followed by returning to school at 7 for a candlelight vigil. I was glad to be there for my kids. They have each other, but some of them also want an adult there to tell them it will be ok. Others, even though they don't talk to you, see you there and feel better knowing that you care.
Monday the students had processed a bit more and were doing pretty good, but it was just hitting me. I focused Friday on acting like a mom to the kids and did my best to not let my emotions get to me. All I could think on Monday was, "when will this day end." Friday and Monday were the longest days. Followed by today, which was his funeral. So sad.
Some of my students, both who knew the boy well and those who didn't, began talking about their feelings in class on Monday. They have learned, in the worst way, that life is short. They began talking about how they should be acting towards the people they love - that you never know how long you have. They also discussed how this tragedy has brought people closer and how great that is. I loved hearing these words of insights from my 14 and 15 year old students. I hope they carry those words with them and that they don't soon forget. It makes me proud to be their teacher.
1 comment:
Tiffany, I'm so sorry to learn this about your former student. It is so sad to see a life cut short. Many, many hugs to you, my friend.
I hope you and the little one are feeling well and are enjoying some beautiful weather there.
Post a Comment