Saturday, July 19, 2014

The 4th of July

I hope you've all been having a wonderful summer. I plan on randomly updating in no particular order.

For the 4th of July, we headed up to Monument for their parade. They're the closest parade to us and it's huge and wonderful! We skipped out about three quarters of the way through because we ended up at the very end of the parade route and it was lunch time and we were all getting hungry. But before we left we saw a reenactment group fire off cannons and muskets; the renaissance fair's elephants, camels, and horses; many different riding groups of horses; two winged horses; an inflatable Marine; classic cars; motorcycles; several bands, cheer squads, and dance troops from the various schools in the area; and way too many other things to list.

After the parade, we headed over to the street fair where Julia met Cinderella and Belle. We ate lunch, played some games, and I solved an Algebra problem for Julia to win some candy.

We had a delicious dinner of smoked ribs that evening before heading downtown for the fireworks. This was our first time seeing the fireworks downtown since the summer we moved here. Budget cuts and droughts had prevented them from the fireworks displays since then. We got there early because we didn't want to park too far away. We enjoyed some lovely family time hanging out on a blanket and playing. We brought Julia some glow bracelets to enjoy the dark. Finally, after what seemed like forever, the fireworks started. While we were waiting we could see some other fireworks displays from a distance. Mariella giggled, screeched, and pointed at them. Julia was also thrilled to see them. Then our display started. We were quite close. The first time the girls heard the noise up close, Mariella started shaking and Julia buried her head and covered her ears. Mariella cuddled close to me and then inched her way to Micah, who was just a little bit farther away. She climbed onto him, cuddled, and as he covered her ears, she fell asleep. Not even the finale woke her up. Julia spent the first half of the display hiding, covering her ears, and begging to go home. I started asking her what her favorite ones were and what colors she liked. By half way through, every single firework was "Look! It's so shiny! Look how shiny! It's like a flower!" I'm pretty sure she can't wait til next year.

And now, what you've been waiting for, the pictures.

Special 4th of July breakfast. Pancakes with raspberries, whip cream, and blueberries


Enjoying her breakfast


Some 4th tattoos. We've got a tough girl. Don't mess with her.


All red, white, and blue thanks to some baseball teams.


Trying to stay out of the sun while waiting for the parade.


Some of the parade.







You're jealous your parade didn't have elephants, aren't you? :)


At the street fair.





Waiting for fireworks.














Somewhere I have a video of Julia running around pretending to be a firework. When I find it, I'll post it.

No comments: